Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Hump day for an optometry student

Today is my longest day. I have 4 hours of lecture from 9-1pm. Then I have lab that starts at 1:30 and ends at 5:20pm. During my 30 minutes lunch time, I walk briskly home (luckily my apartment is only a 3 minute walk from campus) and fix up my pre-cooked microwavable meal. I get ready to go back to campus by 1:30 for class.

Today we have ocular physiology and optometry lab. Ocular Physiology lab was fun today. For the first part of the lab, we just answered questions about different cases. For the last part of lab, we played jeopardy using material from ocular physiology/optometry/anatomy etc, basically everything we ever learned so far was applicable. I'm actually thankful I ended up in a majority guys group. Although being with guys has their own disadvantages, today I felt like being in a predominantly male group was good. The guys are more carefree and like "friendly competition". There was another predominantly male group across the room from us and the guys were jokingly trying to "mess" each other up and give wrong answers. (I mean, everyone's smart, I doubt anyone "fell" for it). I feel like this contrasts doing group activities with a bunch of girls where everyone is quiet and independently looking up answers. I mean, that's nice too, but it's also nice to be able to just laugh and joke with guys who are willing to make themselves the center of jokes. Sometimes we get so caught up with trying to study and remember all the little details about school so we can pass our classes/prepare for boards/be better optometrists, but this is just a little reminder that once in a while it's ok to just make fun and laugh it off! I mean, I didn't really take notes of the information during the jeopardy game (I should have), but why does it matter if I'm not a good student once in a while?



****
Also, 2 weekends ago, I decided to attend the Illinois Optometric Association convention with my classmate. It took 1 1/2 hours to get there even though it was only 30 miles because of all the heavy traffic. The school provided us free registration fee and 1 free night from Friday to Saturday. It only costed us time to be attend and $40 round trip each for the Uber ride. It was an interesting experience and I hope to attend another convention in the future. Maybe in a different state so I can sight see as well.



No comments:

Post a Comment